The Tipu’s Fort, also known as Palakkad Fort, stands in the heart of Palakkad town. One of the well preserved forts in south India, Tipu’s Fort was constructed in 1766 AD and is today a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India. The sober majesty of the laterite walls of the fort reminds one of the old tales of valour and courage.
The fort was built by Hyder Ali (1717 – 1782), the emperor of Mysore province (now part of Karnataka State), supposedly to facilitate communication between both sides of the Western Ghats, (Coimbatore and the West Coast). He had captured the Malabar and Kochi regions which come under the West Coast area. His son Tipu Sultan (1750 – 1799) waged a series of wars against the British colonial rule. In 1784, after an eleven-day seige, the fort was captured by the British under Colonel Fullerton. Though it later fell into the hands of the troops of the Kozhikode Zamorin, it was recaptured by the British in 1790. Tipu Sultan lost his life in 1799 in an encounter with the British and the fort later came to be known in his name.
Visiting hours: 0800 – 1800 hrs
Entrance is free.
Thrithala is noted for its monuments and historic ruins and hence, has great archaeological importance. The ruins of a large mud fort with a deep moat hewn from laterite and the Siva temple are notable cultural monuments.
Kalpathy Agraharam (Brahmin Village) in the heart of Palakkad town is being notified as the first heritage village in the State. It is located on the banks of Kalpathy river. The village is famous for its architecture, temples, music and car festivals. The famous temple in the Kalpathy Village is the Sri Visalakshi Sametha Sri Viswanatha Swamy temple where the deities are Lord Siva (Lord Viswanatha) and his consort Visalakshi, another name for Parvati. Kalpathy is located 3 km from Palakkad town.